Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic Vehicles

I was just wondering if I can get some information on the

Customer Question

Hello, I was just wondering if I can get some information on the error codes for my Lexus ES300 2002. The car shuts off when idle and does not fire well when driving. Will fixing both VVT’s fix the rest of the codes? And how many hours of labor do you think this will take.
The codes are
Thank you so much.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

The info you requested

1 - P0300 : Multiple random misfire on all cylinders

2- P0301,302,303,304,305,306 are the each individual cylinder misfiring with there numbers so u have all cylinder misfire in your case

3- DTC P1346 VVT SENSOR/CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE PROBLEM (BANK 1) CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION VVT sensor (VV signal) consists of a magnet, iron core and pickup coil. The VV signal plate has 3 teeth on its outer circumference and is installed the camshaft timing gear. When the camshafts rotate, the protrusion on the signal plate and the air gap on the pickup coil change, causing fluctuations in the magnetic field and generating an electromotive force in the pickup coil. The actual camshaft angle is detected by the VVT sensor and it provides feedback to the ECM to control the intake valve timing in response to during condition.

DTC P1349 VVT SYSTEM MALFUNCTION (BANK 1) CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION VVT system controls the intake valve timing to proper timing in response to driving condition. ECM controls Oil Control Valve (OCV) to make the intake valve timing properly, and, oil pressure controlled with OCV is supplied to the VVT controller, and then, VVT controller changes relative position between the camshaft and the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Mr Chad, these are the same comments that came with the diagnosis. I thought that maybe most of the codes are from bad VVT and if fixing it will take away most the other ones. especially since I just did spark plugs 5 months ago. and do you know how many hours of labor it would normally take?

how many miles on car

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

1- check timing first

2- all these codes are caused because of a mismatch in timing

3-it is rare you have all 6 coils bad at the same time , u either jumped timing or the ecu is bad not sending ground to coils or injectors

have u ever changed it , is the car running now

car just did this suddenly driving or , while you were trying to start it ?

2000 Lexus ES 300 V6-3.0L (1MZ-FE)

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Timing Belt

17 - Timing Belt

(###) ###-#### $61.09

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

3.3 Hrs

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have never changed it before. It started after i got an oil leak fixed. Car runs now but shuts off when idle, is slow to pick up when i'm driving but runs fine on constant speed. it also doesn't start if its cold outside.

check timing first , then we can know

I hope is not i did send you what u requested on time labor did u get it

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank you i got it. How about if i want to changes vvt solenoids in both banks? are you able to give me an estimate cost?