FIXITMAN, Master Technician

My 97 es300 ac is making noise then shuts off and the ac

Customer Question

My 97 es300 ac is making noise then shuts off and the ac light in car flashes. Then no cold air while it did this the car smelled like burnt electric that peanut butter smell i call it. Is this a relay that went bad? Or?
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does this thing work said 8 mintues 10 ago. Im hoping it does
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you give me a description of what the noise sounded like?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Like a rattling i thought it was motor turns out it was ac when i checked if it was running i turned it on ac and made that broken rattly noise.. when it shut off the ac light flashed on n off and smelled like a burning electric. Its a wierd like peanut butter burning to me
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I opened relay boxes not knowing what was what and abs relays smelled too its up front pass side next to radiator. 3 relays in it and it smelled. So idk whats going on with it. I love the car has 190 on miles but purrs like kitten till this ac crap
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. It sounds like the AC compressor failed. When it fails and seizes up this will occur. The clutch may have melted internally which will cause this noise and the smell that you got. I usually remove the belt and spin it by hand to see if it is binding. If it is then it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok ill try that in morning. Can just clutch be replaced and fix issue or just buy a compressor. Which then i got take freon out
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

You will need to replace the entire compressor on this vehicle to repair it correctly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks do u have a estime on time or other stuff i have to take off to put it on.. i dont mind getting dirty but like to have a game plan at it any speacial tools too
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

It is not terribly hard to replace on this car. It should take a few hours to do. The compressor itself would be the biggest expense. Also make sure that the metering valve and the drier are replaced at the same time.