Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

I have a lexus rx400h 2006 model. key won't turn. just used

Customer Question

I have a lexus rx400h 2006 model. key won't turn. just used the car an hour before that and parked in parking lot. flat parking lot. front tires only slightly turned (may be 5 degrees). tried wiggling the steering wheel, and turning the key. didn't work. even tried gently hitting key with hammer. didn't work. towed to lexus dealer. dealer says we may have to replace the key cylinder and get new keys. what is the best & cheapest solution to this issue? owned the car 4 years. never had this issue before in this car or my other cars. Thank you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your RX400H.

Is the vehicle still at the Dealer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but i have not authorized any work. i can tow it out of there back to my home, or another car shop, if needed.

Does the key pull out of the cylinder or is it stuck inside?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
key is not stuck. i am able to put it in and take it out without a problem. once i put the key in, it doesn't turn.

Ok, the first step we would do, and is also the cheapest is to have a new key cut by using the vehicle VIN number. This will give you a key just like when it rolled off the factory floor. Sometimes the key notches get worn down to where they wont fit correctly into the "biscuits" and thats why the key wont turn. Either the Dealer or a Locksmith can do this. Of course the Locksmith will be cheaper.

If that doesn't work, then a new cylinder will be needed. (A Locksmith in this case would just replace the worn biscuits and perform a rebuild.) Also cheaper.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is a reasonable cost for each option? do you have any suggestions for reducing the cost of these options?

A locksmith (or you performing the work----please don't attempt) would be the cheapest option and this would run about $200 if he/she has to rebuild and about $50 if they just cut a new key by the VIN and it works.

If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
honestly i am not satisfied with your responses. I have clearly stated the issue and was hoping for an expert suggestion on a viable option that is cost effective. Everything you are saying even i know and have tried.
I now doubt on your website and the levels of expertise.
What are my options to get my money back i paid for this service ?

I will forward this to the customer relations department and they will refund your money. Thanks