spoooolin
spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Dealership experience with two manufactures
93876653

WE GOT A 2003 LEXUS GS300 INTO THE THE SHOP WITH ROUGH IDLE.

Customer Question

WE GOT A 2003 LEXUS GS300 INTO THE THE SHOP WITH ROUGH IDLE. WE REPLACED THE TIMING BELT AND THE CAMSHAFT AND CRANKSHAFT SEALS. NOW WE GOT A CODE P0011 CAM POSITION "A" TOO ADVANCED / SYSTEM PERFORMANCE B1. IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO INSTALLED THE VANOS ON THE INTAKE CAMSHAFT? MAYBE WE INSTALLED IT WRONG.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  spoooolin replied 7 months ago.

Was that code current before the check engine light? If not, it sounds like it is out of time. These things are pretty picky on being dead on the timing marks.

Do you have a diagram of the timing marks and where they are?

There is not special way to put the Vanos, or VVT gears on the camshafts. The only thing to make sure of is to line up the pin on the camshaft, to the gear and then tq. down the bolt.

Turn the crank pulley to TDC, and the notches on the camgear should line up to the notch on the black cover. just like the picture shown. It is easy for these things to get off a tooth when lining up the belt. Double check that and I bet thats your issue. If not, please let me know.

Thank you!

Please do not forget to rate me , as that is the only way I get credit for my time and answer on this site. even after rating me this thread will remain open so you can come back and post any other questions.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I already check the timing marks again and we are at dead spot, right at the marks. Crank and camshafts

Well, if the marks are dead on, with the scan tool you will need to go in and active test the camshaft gear and see if the timing adjust. If not, you have a bad gear, or oil control valve, but since this only happened after the install, I would assume the gear is the issue.