sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My convertible top won't go up. It tried to move at one

Customer Question

My convertible top won't go up. It tried to move at one point but acted as if it were stuck and now it won't do anything. I need it to go up b/c the nearest Lexus dealership is a*****with possible rain. The red light blinks and sometimes it's solid. I was able to push the back part down manually. What should be done?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried adjusting the pull out lid that holds the convertible top in the trunk. That made the ion light stop blinking but did not solve the problem. Opened glove department and pushed a button in that say trunk release b/c I read that it might be important. Nothing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: It's a 2004 Lexus coup. First time ever having this problem; never dropped the top very much. At least twice the top has activated but never completed the process. Mostly nothing happens when I push the button. Thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not received an email to change my password. My email is **************
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be due to an electrical issue, a mechanical problem preventing the top related components from moving, or possibly hydraulic. If you still hear the pump running when the top doesn't move then it may be a fluid or pump issue.

Do you continue to hear any noise when pressing the button but the top does not move?

Is there any physical damage to any of the top components that you're aware of?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The top worked briefly a couple of times but not successfully. It came up about half and acted like it was stuck. No noise, no actions are made when you mash the button. No damage that I can see.

Do you have access to a scan tool capable of communication with all modules?