Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 1999 Lexus GS300 and I am trying to change out the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1999 Lexus GS300 and I am trying to change out the windshield mounted rearview mirror for one with the compass built in. When removing the existing one, there is a single T30 Torx screw that I stripped the head out trying to remove. The new mirror I have includes the backplate and the same Torx screw. My question is how can I remove that stripped screw, maybe drill the head off and the mirror will come out? Then I can install the new mirror assembly which includes the screw and backplate that it screws into? Thanks
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Using a drill to drill out the stripped screw head is possible, but you need to be real careful. Personally, If this car was in my shop, I would be using a Dremel Moto-Tool to grind the head off with a cutting bit.