sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I accidentally left my lights on last night and my 2008

Customer Question

I accidentally left my lights on last night and my 2008 is250 wont start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the battery but the car won't start and my key does not lock/unlock the doors
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Great
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: Not that I know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

Does the car have any electrical power to it with the new battery?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Sorry but I am unable to call right now.

Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no cranking at all. The keys also don't open/lock the car either. There are some lights that are on in the cluster and the radio works. But when I get in and press the button nothing happens
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Ok

It sounds like you may have blown one of the main fuses, please give me a few moments to look at the wiring diagrams and see if there is a fuse we can check and get you back up and running.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks. Where are the fuses located? Under the dash or under the hood?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also noticed that when I get out of the car and close the door the car beeps 3 times? I don't know what this means either
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

OK,

The fuses we are going to look at will be under the hood, these are fusible links. They supply power to the other fuses in the system and can affect several items when one blows.

I do need some more info. Did you try to jump start the car and if so is it possible the cables were reversed for a second?

Also, can you check and see if the washer works, headlights fog lights and tail lights work?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did try jump the car and am pretty sure I didn't switch the cables.
The washer, headlights and tail lights do work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What would happen if the cables were switched for a second?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

This will normally blow the main fusible link and kill a bunch of the system or all of it.

I do see a starter fusible link in the diagram, but it's not telling me what else it runs or feeds power to. Whatever is happening isn't actually key related as the keyless entry should work without the key being on.

Under the hood there should be a starter fusible link. This will be square with a clear top. You can look into the top and see if it's in tact or not. I will try to get a diagram of it's location for you, but it should be marked. Please check it and let me know.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

If you have the fuse box in front of the battery, then here is a diagram of the 2 to check.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi mike, I just checked them and they seem to be ok.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Ok

I'm going to open the question back up for you to the other experts. Possibly someone else has dealt with this or seen this happen.

Sorry I was unable to help you and please don't reply or it will lock it back to me and nobody else will see it to be able to help.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Do you still need help?