Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Technician
Experience:  Heavy Line Mech-, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years. R/S, etc.
1609972

I was trying to install a new stereo in my 2008 plexus

Customer Question

I was trying to install a new stereo in my 2008 plexus rx350. Now the power windows and the remote rear lift gate don't work. Also the gear selector is locked in park. I check the fuses under the hood and they look fine
Category: Lexus
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
did you disconnect the battery? and on the windows do they just not work from the drivers switch or not at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not disconnect battery and none of the window switches work.
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 months ago.
sorry for the delay.............Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (akaCustomer and I look forward to helping you!”.Please test Voltage + on "both sides" of Fuse "28", with Key ON, located in the Inside Fuse PanelLet me know what you find.IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating..Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A..NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed..If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better..Rating is very Important to our Service..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I identify "fuse 28" and where is it located?
They are numbered & your Manual shows themclick Attachment below
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
11.72 inside 0 outside. Fuse is good. Thanks for the diagram.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Measured fuse with DMM.
11.72 inside 0 outside. Fuse is good??? IF you have 11.72 on one side & "0" on the other side, Fuse is NOT goodFuses can LOOK GOOD but still be badPlease recheck........IF same , then replace FuseLet me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can not measure across the fuse when it is installed. I pulled the fuse and measured the connectors on the fuse block. ONe side had 11.7V the other had zero. I measured across the fuse connectors and got 0 ohms with the meter set at 2K ohm measurement.
Please understand..........you need to either Replace the Fuse or test while fuse is installed with Key ONOf course one connector in the Fuse Box will have Voltage & the other will not, when the Fuse is out, because there is NO Fuse to bridge the ConnectorsMeasuring the Fuse out of the Fuse Box, a good Fuse will show "infinity" when the red probe is on one leg of the fuse & the black probe is on the other leg of the fuseIF that is what the meter shows, then the Fuse is good & you should have Voltage + on "both sides" of the Fuse with Fuse installed & Key ONIF that is correct then there may be an issue with the ECU / BCM, as Fuse 28 is common to the Windows, Rear Gate & Shift Interlock.Does the New Radio work & maintain Memory?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the new radio works, but i get no sound from the speakers and I do know the speakers are hooked up correctly.
what Factory Radio was in before you installed the new one?Mark Levinson or standard?Did you use a Wiring Adapter?If so, Brand & Model Number?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything worked before I started.
No ML no Nav, no rear seat intertainment. (thus the new radio)
Adapter came from crutchfield, Axxess brand.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Axxess brand model TYT0-01
Also Idatalink Maestro SW control adapter
I am suspecting the ECU / BCM is the problem, but please test Voltage + on "both sides" of these fuses firstInside Fuse PanelFuse 13, 28 & 31 with Key ON.Under Hood Fuse PanelFuses 23, 26 & 27Click Attachment below.Be sure the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire from the New Unit is connected to the BLUE or BLUE / WHITE wire of the Axxess Adapter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, all fuses good. Fuse 26 was missing from when I pulled it out earlier. Put it back in. Still all the same failures.
at this point IF there is Voltage + across ALL Fuses posted, then you will need use of Dealer Scan Tool to Test the ECU / BCM, as the ECU is responsible for the activation of most Components, including the components you posted that are not working.Prior to Dealer, be sure Battery is fully charged, everything is connected & vehicle starts & runs.Disconnect the Axxess & new Unit prior to Dealer Testing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Blue wire was not connected. I am connecting it now.
that should cure the No Sound issue, but the others leads me to suspect ECU
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Check. I now have sound through the speakers. While I removed the radio the interior radio fuse blew. I replaced it and it has held. Very odd. Still no windows and now the steering column tilt telescope does not work.Is there an aftermarket tool to scan the body ECU?
not hat I am aware of........please understand, while I would think that a Fuse is responsible, all the research I have done is pointing to the ECU, but there really is no way of checking that because it is DATA, which DATA makes the different Components work.Problem I have is I am not "hands on" & at a computer, which makes it more difficult to pinpoint.IF you are sure ALL fuses are good, try disconnecting the Battery Negative Battery Cable for apprx 5 minutesReconnect & start vehicleSee if that reset the ECU
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Disconnected the negative cable for 5 minutes and reconnected. I have no change. My dilemma is the only thing you have told me to do is look at fuses which I did before I contacted you. Your advice to take it to the dealer is not helpful and now I've paid 26 dollars and I'm no further along than I was yesterday. I guess I feel like I'm not getting detailed information on how to troubleshoot this unit. I will proceed on my own from here. Thank you for your time.
WOW..........I produced a number of testing schemes.......I also gave you info on NO Sound, which you say that it worksJust because you made a mistake & now have to take to dealer, in no way makes me responsible for your lack of testing with a MultiMeter & your lack of understanding that YOU made a mistakeAt this point I would say you are not a reasonable person that accepts help or finds fault with yourselfYou did receive a lot of help & you did get your unit to workso give me a break..............