Greg
Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner
29331485

Lexus GX470: 2005 Lexus GX470 with 120k miles. The truck has

Customer Question

2005 Lexus GX470 with 120k miles. The truck has a bumpy ride. The air suspension holds air and adjusts from H,N to L. It does seems to adjust several times when at a stop. The left side is one inch higher than the right at all three levels - H,N and L. I am leaning towards the height sensor but looking to see what else should be checked.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Greg replied 6 months ago.
Hi . You are going to need a good top level scan tool to diagnose and test calibrate the suspension system.The bumpy ride is most likely due to the damping system malfunction .the uneven ride is most likely bad level sensors or incorrect set up .All the settings and calibration are done with the diagnostic tool . Hard bouncy drive ..This is most likely failing hydro-pneumatic accumulators,when these fail ride height also could become uneven .So it best for a scan for malfunctions rather than replacing parts on assumption ,A small give away is when you check the AHC oil level it will be slightly low as the accumulators bladder fail and fill with fluid causing the level to be down .so if fluid is slightly down this could be a bad accumulator .. Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,A bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will look for the AHC oil reservoir but this truck is equipped with the sports suspension air bags that raises and lowers the height. It has a compressor that fills the bags.
Expert:  Greg replied 6 months ago.
Hi . Okay good you have the ELECTRONIC MODULATED SUSPENSION & REAR AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM. even better .Check the shocks for seizure, could be the reason for being bumpy hard ride, remove and see if you can compress them sometimes they get hard .Check height control sensors have nor been damaged . this will be the reason for one side being different unles the shocks are causing this, remove and check / measure.Not much can cause this system to fail much better than the older one .Diagram added for you to see where parts are located . Rgds Greg