spoooolin
spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Dealership experience with two manufactures
93876653

I have a 2007 LS 460 JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

I have a 2007 LS 460
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The heaiting: cooling display does not work. Non of the buttons light up. I have no defrost for front or back windshields
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: I judged purchased it used from out of town
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  spoooolin replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the info on the Lexus, the LS460 is a nice car!Just to make sure I have your issue correct, Nothing on this control head shows up or lights up? If that is the case, can you still control the unit, and change the fan speed for example, but nothing just shows up, or can you not control anything, and nothing lights up? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I can control the fan speed and the temp, but I can not see the temp settings or turn the system on or off.
I need you to check the 20a Radio fuse for me, this sends constant battery voltage to that unit. This could be something as simple as a Fuse! The fuse is located in the passenger side junction box, which is in the passenger side kick panel. (see the attache two diagrams) If that fuse checks out good, then you have either a bad AC amplifier, or a dead AC control head. Since you have control over the some of the items, I am really leaning towards a dead control head. I really hope this helps you, as always, please feel free to ask any other question you may have Ill be more than happy to answer them. Please do not forget to rate my service as well!Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks I will first check the fuse box. Do you have any idea what this will cost me worse case scenario?
THere are a few ways to go about repairing this issue. Its not a very common failure, but I have seen it before where the control head fails. You can get one from a junk yard such as www.car-parts.com or ebay and save a ton of money. The install is not to bad, 250-350 bucks. a new unit from the dealer will be 1000+ bucks. much much cheaper to find a used one. Sorry to be the one with bad news on the repair, but If it were my car, I would look for a used one. Thanks!