lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

Major oil leak on my 1996 Lexus LS400. Don't see any evidence

Customer Question

Major oil leak on my 1996 Lexus LS400. Don't see any evidence of oil on block. I can see where it's accumulating and dripping from but can't see where actual culprit is
JA: An oil leak can be frustrating and tough to diagnose. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: There is a line that sits just in front of oil filter it looks like it has some sort of rubber boot it goes into looks the accumulation looks as if it is going down that line and of course dripping from the lowest point which would be rubber boot looking deal
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Unfortunately nothing 😕 just been having to constantly add oil
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: Someone more recently pulled out in front of me and thankfully avoided T-boning them...however clipped their driver corner of tale and my driver corner front corner parking light and very front part of side panel crunched in. Hadn't noticed any leaks of oil after that that took place about 4 months ago. Noticeable Oil leak started few weeks ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist from your description it sounds like the boot for the steering rack. it is a dust boot and should not have fluid in it. it would be better if you could take a picture and post it to be sure I am on the right track Roy