Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

I thought I was out of gas but got 3 gallons into car and it

Customer Question

I thought I was out of gas but got 3 gallons into car and it just won't start. My Lexus key is very unstable and I have tape holding it together. It is the original key but the black case just will not stay together any longer - could this be the problem
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't have any other option at this point. I live alone and it is my only transportation. I got ride to work but have to be able to have the car working. It just will not start. Will Lexus replace the key since I have all the parts and they are just worn out and I haven't lost the key
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: No - It is a 2006 and runs wonderful. The second key had same issue and finally cracked - I want to know how to replace the black key case on these keys with spending hundreds of dollars on new keys
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Lexus.What model Lexus are we Dealing with?Have you priced a new key yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rx300. Will a new key work
Yes, a new key will fix this concern. As you know, these things do wear out. You can also search Amazon for a key like this and save some money.If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.