lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus

I just replaced the magnetic relay switch on my 2000 Lexus

Customer Question

I just replaced the magnetic relay switch on my 2000 Lexus ES300 because the a/c light was flashing. The light is still flashing after replacing this switch. When I take the switch out the light does not flash. What is the next step? I am trying to fix this problem myself without spending a ton of money. Please help!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
hello again. what happened??? lets start with the original issue you have requesting the location of the relay
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A/C light started flashing, you talked me thru how to find the magnetic relay switch. Once I got the switch out, I went to a local parts store and purchased a replacement. Once I put the replacement part on, the light continued to flash.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, thanks, ***** ***** that the ystem is not activating, which you already know. when you turn on the system, does the relay energize or can you feel it click??? Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure I understand what you are asking...I could hear the compressor kick in.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, good, then the relay is working and the ac system is on. is it blowing cold air??? trying to see if the ac has enough to cool roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It starts blowing cold air but once the light starts flashing, the air gets warm.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, I posted a procedure for you to do. it should show a code with this. try it and see. Roy Turn the ignition switch ON while pressing the A/C control AUTO switch and R/F switch simultaneously. Check that the indicators light up and go off at second intervals 4 times in succession.HINT: After the indicator check is completed, the system enters the DTC begins automatically.Press the OFF switch when desiring to cancel the check mode.DTC CHECK (SENSOR CHECK) Perform an indicator check. After the indicator check is completed, the system enters the DTC check mode automatically.Read the code displayed on the panel. Refer to the list of codes on "Trouble Code Descriptions" when reading the codes. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC )\Testing and Inspection\Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions(Trouble code are output at the temperature display.) If the slower display is desired, press the front DEF switch and change it to stepped operation. Each time the front DEF switch is pressed, the display changes by 1 step.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the r/s switch?
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
I attached a picture. I believe it is the rear defogger button
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I am having to run some errands and as soon as I get to a point I can run this test, I will.
Expert:  Roy replied 5 months ago.
me too, going to get some dinner. be back on in a bit Roy