Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER
Experience:  30 YEARS EXPERIENCE, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Lexus LS400: I have a 92 lexus ls400 and i had some alternator

Customer Question

I have a 92 lexus ls400 and i had some alternator issues. Did a quick diagnoses and thought it to be the power steerimg pump leaking as there is fluid below on the engine floor cover. When i started to work on the car i found there was fluid on the high pressure line on the opposite side of the bay where the ps pump is not located as well as the oil pan. My question is do you think its the pump and high pressure line or possibly just a oil pan gasket thats wore out?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** power steering will not effect the alternator, is the leak your only concern?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In a 92 ls400 the power steering pump is located directly above the alternator. There for if you devlop a ps leak it will dip on the the alternator causing failure...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Is the alternator soaked with p/s fluid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes i replaced it last year and oil caused it to fail agian. I am now replacing the ps pump and i found there is oil on the high pressure line, but on the opposite side of the bay. I know a leak will find the lowest point on the line before it drips but wondering since the line runs right next to the oil pan if it my be a oil pan gasket going out. The car is 24 years old so it my be... have you experienced this?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
I have seen all kinds of leaks on these, and the oil pan is very coomon, but the oil pan will NOT leak on the alternator, if the alternator has been soaked agan, then its most likely the high side line, where it attaches to the pump, is the rest of the line dry?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know there is a leak in the pump and possibly the high pressure line but the picture shows the high pressure line running along the oil pan. This part of the line is under the oil filter not the ps pump and is covered in oil as well as the oil pan has dirty oil caked on it. What would you recommend
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Then I would first replace the pump and the high pressure line, since you kow they are leaking, then clean off the pan and run it and see if you still get oil on the pan, the first 2 you know are leaking, so until they are replaced, you wont know if the pan is leaking,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How hard is a high pressure line to replace never done one. I already have the alternator and ps pump.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
they are easy once the pump and alternator are removed, the other end is attached to the rack and pinion gear, undo this connection, and the bracket near the pan and the line can be snaked out, it is a 1.4 job by the book,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 months ago.
Is there a reason you wont rate me, once you rate me, you can come back to this question and ask follow ups at no charge,Tim
Customer: replied 7 months ago.