Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.

Lexus es300: 95 lexus es300 overdrive issue ,, in and out ,

Customer Question

95 lexus es300 overdrive issue ,, in and out , but kicks in usually when i turn head lites on and off
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In most cases if you are having a problem with the transmission as well as overdrive holding the computer will usually set and store a fault code and or codes, in order to begin to know what is causing this you are going to need to start with scanning the system to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will help you get this resolved.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its not showing any codes ,, i have a code reader ,, i disconected battery several times to seee if ecm resets ... but the clue is when i turn on headlights it usually kicks in to overdrive ,, i read a thread on a page guy had same problem ,,something about headlights and overdrive circut share something ,, ive checkt all the grounds i could see , but im sure there is more ,,only other clue is i have had to tap on speedometer to get it to work a few times in past ,, ive taken out dash and pulled off plugs in back of gauges ect and looked and repluged ,,
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
There to common grounds you may want to check, one is the G131 located on the left side of the intake manifold and the other ground is the G300 located in the in the LH side Kick panel. Start with making sure both are clean and tight.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
grounds clean and tight , took off retightend ,, same problem ,its getting more intermitin when i turn on headlights ,,, just wondering if somehow overdrive can get energised thru dash intrument panel also which plug on tranny controls overdrive ?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Its a possibility but I would suspect you should be getting a fault code , unfortunately if there is a code it can not be retrieved with a code reader, you will need a full scan tool.