spoooolin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master ASE L1 Multiple years of Dealership experience with two manufactures

Intermittently my top will not go up. When I press the close

Customer Question

Intermittently my top will not go up. When I press the close button, the trunk lid raises and then the process stops. I can press the open button to return the trunk lid, but I have to turn the car off to restart the close process. Same thing over and over.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: The three times this has happened the top had been down for several hours. I have been able to close it in the past by continuing to try.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how about an answer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  spoooolin replied 5 months ago.
Sorry about your top on your lexus not working correctly. In order for me to give you accurate information, and I please get the year, and model of the vehicle? Once I have that I can do some research on your particular vehicle. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2002 SC430
Thank you for that!The most common issue that Ive seen with this car acting the way you are describing is the convertible top drive motor position sensor which is built into the motor on these cars and uses a hall effect type sensor.A convertible top is a lot like a door window, it needs to know where where its top and bottom positions are. Has there been any work done on the car recently such as a battery replacement, or has it been involved in an accident? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** am going to take it to the dealer.
Sounds good! Thank you