Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I believe my Lexus Engine Immobilizer needs to be reset. How

Customer Question

I believe my Lexus Engine Immobilizer needs to be reset. How do I do so?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My husband went to start my car with his key he usually uses and it would not start. So i took my key and still nothing. I then noticed the flashing car with a key on it and looked in the manual and it said it was the engine immobilizer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried put the key in the door to lock and unlock and then use the remote to lock and unlock but that did not work
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: it is a 2001 LX 470
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Unfortunately there isnt a manual relearn here for this issue.This would have to be done by a dealer with their scan tool/computer for this fault.The first thing to check is in the fuse panel locate the ECU-IG fuses and make sure they are both o.k.If these are o.k. this can be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself as since this occurred suddenly like this here this usually indicates one of the theft components is faulty.This can be the ignition switch usually or the theft control module/ecu.The codes will need checked using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to locate the code set with this issue then the code diagnosed and repaired to correct this fault.A relearn will not work if you have a failed security component like this here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete