Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Lexus ES300: My 2002 Lexus ES 300 audio stopped working this

Customer Question

My 2002 Lexus ES 300 audio stopped working this morning. I've checked all sources and channels, and there is no sound at all from any of them. The battery is currently disconnected, and I will reconnect it in a few minutes. If my sound doesn't come back after that, what are my options?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Would this audio system be the 'Mark Levinson' audio system? Please advise.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think so, but I am not sure. How can I confirm this?
It would say it someplace on either the radio faceplate or the door speakers. Most likely, it is a Mark Levinson system. These are notorious for failing with no warning. There was a tchhnical service bulletin produce that addresses this issue (AU002-02; your Lexus dealer can provide you a copy or find it on the internet). There is a really good discussion about the ML systems; perhaps it can help:
This link is not the actual Bulletin, but doe provide the overview of the issue:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even if it's not Mark Levinson, does that mean that I need to get my amplifier replaced?
I would think that the amplifier is the issue. This is becoming increasingly common. The fact that a bulletin was released backs this up. Not all of the almps got replaced under the bulletin parameters. There are still quite a few cars out there with the suspected faulty amps.