Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2007 GS350 AWD. Trans fluid leak from drivers front axle seal

Customer Question

2007 GS350 AWD. Trans fluid leak from drivers front axle seal area.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Lexus Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just replaced the drivers front half shaft and about 1 week later I am getting a bad leak from the seal area. BUT it seams really wet between the differential housing and the T-case, is this area known to leak or is it more likely the axle seal since I just replaced the axle shaft?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: ordered a new seal
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: 162,000 miles
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In my experience, i have had several customer cars in the shop with self-replaced axle seals. Every time, we had found that the inner lip of the seal was torn. One must be very careful when sliding the axle into teh seal. If the axle is angled any, and the end of the shaft contacts the lip, it will tear instantly. I would recommend you replace the axle seal again, but, this time, take great care to not angle the shaft when you slide it they the seal. You might want to lube the end of the shaft with Vaseline before your insert the shaft into the seal to ease it sliding thru.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with my 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD is it possible or even likely to have transmission fluid leak between the front differential and the T-case? Fluid seems to be coming from either the axle seal or where the front differential meets the T-case.
it is possible, but, one must remember that the turbulent air under the car will push an axles seal leak backwards. Transfer case seal leaks are rather are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For this particular axle seal on my front drivers side axle, how far do I install the seal? And what tool do I use?
The outer facing lip of the seal needs to be flush with the case. It is recommended that you use a seal driver. A socket that fits the exterior of the seal lip would work, but it could slip and damage the outer lip.