Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Getting a badknock sensor code rx 300 but recently

Customer Question

getting a badknock sensor code for lexus rx 300 but recently changed them both
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the transmission is shifting irregularly under a nice warm up the car will sometimes shift normally after stop and go driving - I lose 3rd or drive and OD the car when warmed up and shifting ok is fine but the power of the vehicle has changed and seems to be slower
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The website only allows us to assist on one concern per question. Do you know which concern you would like me to help on, on this question? Do you recall the code numbers which are stored?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
well I prepaid this and still see nothing for any input ...should I ask for refund?
the knock sensor codes supposedly mean nothing and the dealership could not replicate my problem so 190dollars later I am certain the transmission will stop going into 1 to 1 or overdrive ... I am reading everything online available and there are quite a few problems with this transmission - many similar stories and situations that resemble my problem. I am very confused that the car will drive for a few trips and work fine and then without warming it up or getting into stop n go traffic I can feel it happening again. My only remedy has been to take off battery cable and reset ECU to make it shift normally again for a few days or who know how many miles. The knock sensor repair should have cleared the code and I am perplexed that 2 month old knock sensors would be the culprit. There is no fault codes listed related to transmission...I am sure he told me of the code in consultation and there is nothing listed in my Dealership bill .
Your more than welcome to seek a refund if you choose. I have been waiting since the 16th for your reply..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok Master Mechanic same outline no codes from Toyota Dealership here in Gilroy - 3 days and I hope you are the master you are claimed to be... whats up with my transmission not shifting normally
So 1st and 2nd work fine. The 3rd and 4th fail. When that happens does it still try to shift to 3rd just resulting in the engine reving high?After a computer reset how long in days or miles or both does 3rd and 4th gears work fine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
after reset ECU to make it shift normally again for a few days or who know how many miles.
yes it revs high without the ability to shift until reset. Randomly I use it for long and short distances so around town not much problems and I am not normally in a rush..so I warm up car and it seems to help (another hint from (Lexusownersgroup) various other articles and posts. The toyota dealership said Solenoid and VSS were common problems but mine seemed to be fine by their assessment.
What year model is your car?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1999 Lexus RX300 AWD- seems the Transmission is the same for all (1999-2002) but 2003. version of the RX300 Model but still interchangeable from what I have seen on parts for sale websites. The Toyota Highlander is equipped with the same trans as well - might not be exactly the same but you might be more certain than me with my new-found knowledge.
Thanks, ***** ***** clutch is used for 3rd gear. Since a reset resolve the concern that rules out the clutch being damaged or faulty. This also rules out the solenoids and valves, a reset will not change there ability to function. I believe in your case its the computer to blame.