Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2001 Lexus LS 430. First the AM radio stopped working. Later

Customer Question

2001 Lexus LS 430. First the AM radio stopped working. Later (a year later) the FM stopped working. I used the tape deck to hook up my iPhone for audio for the next two years. Then the tape stopped working. When I turn on the radio, the screen flashes for a second then off and nothing. Bought a remanufactured radio and installed today. Same problem with this unit when I turn it on ... flash on screen then nothing. I have checked all of the fuses. They are fine. So, what do you think it is?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself?
Customer: The fuses are fine. We removed and inspected all fuses referenced to the radio.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: My car has 422,000 miles! It is the fourth LS I have owned and it suddenly had 185,000 miles, so I decided to keep it till it died. It won't die, though I have done various repairs over the years. But I sure wish my radio worked.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Lexus Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Dont think so. Thx
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. We need to do wire testing at the back of the radio to conform the power and ground there is good Do you own a test light or volt meter so we can do this test? Do you understand wire diagrams? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I have a volt meter and can read a wiring diagram.
As an added comment from my earlier post: I reconnected the replacement unit and got the CD unit to request a disk. Inserted disk in ordinary course and machine took it and went into play mode, but no sound. Then inserted my cassette cartridge used to connect to iPhone and, again, it worked fine but no sound. However, still get no response when trying to put in AM or FM mode. Someone said they thought j had a tuner problem, but does that affect CD and cassette player, too? As noted, I replaced amplifier about five years ago.
Below is a link to the wire diagrams.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/ls430.pdfVerify all power and ground wires to the radio and tuner are good. If they are and the screen on the radio and buttons are fine then the tuner would be to blame.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris