Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I started it last night and the starter kept turning and turned

Customer Question

I started it last night and the starter kept turning and turned it off and started again. After that turn signal wouldn't work and the fuse was blown. Put in new fuse and it blew as soon as I put on the turn signal.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. Are you planning on changing the fuse yourself?
Customer: I changed it twice and blew both times. Figure I must somehow be shorting via the ignition wiring harness.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to fuse guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It runs pretty well. the starter will need new bushings pretty soon but the rest runs pretty well considering it is 24 years old and 250,000 miles.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Lexus Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionIt sounds like the ignition switch is faulty but it would help to know the year and model of your Lexus so that I can pull the wiring schematics. I also need the fuse number/location that is blowing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I will give some more data. It is a 1992 Lexus LS400 with about 230k on it. Two evenings ago I started it but the starter was not disengaging so switched it off. Occasionally the starter runs on a bit but not like this time. I started it again and it started okay. I then discovered I had no turn signals so pulled the fuse (It is a 7.5 amp fuse - #10 in the kick panel box) and put in a new one and it blew immediately. Put in another one and did the same. Meantime it is starting fine but today discovered the horn had quit as well but it worked again after I replaced the fuse (It is for the horns and flashers and is a 15 amp fuse in #19 in the main box). Nothing else seems to be malfunctioning. It has issues with the electric door locks but that hasn't changed and was occurring before I had the turn signal problem. The local Lexus dealer said the starter needed new bushings, think that was the right term, but didn't feel like tackling the starter yet.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Ok, I have pulled up what I have for this vehicle and it is not much at all in the way of schematics, so I will opt out and see if another expert has more information so that they can better help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** effort.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is something I don't understand - I answered Eric's question and added further data. That now shows up as if I answered questions with a JA. I don't recall this taking place and in fact it is a cut and paste of the answer I sent Eric but now in the form of "asking questions" that I was never asked. I am then told to go and pay my $5 to get my question answered, which is has not been, and I paid $20 yesterday via Paypal, at least that is what I appeared to do - did this not get paid?