Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Lexus RX300: 2001 Lexus RX300, both rear doors do not unlock

Customer Question

2001 Lexus RX300, both rear doors do not unlock with remote or master unlock switch. Replaced both rear door actuators, no change. Possible both rear door MPX modules bad?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionWhile possible that both have failed, it is unlikely, especially if both sides quit working at the same time. I need to get the last 8 of the vin to pull all necessary schematics as well as check for any related service bulletins
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vin: (last 8) 10108813
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, having gone thru the schematics, the only thing I see beyond a short in the wiring harnesses for each would indeed by the control modules.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay Eric, I swapped door mpx ECU, doors still don't work remotely. I found wiring schematics in my Haynes maintenance manual. Across courtesy switch (2-wire) connector there is 12Vdc constant. Across the (4-wire I believe) connector to the actuator, I found the 12V when remote unlock is depressed on blue/red and blu/something wires. I can hear the actuator engage but no latches are releasing. So, replaced actuator and door ECU, have good voltage reading that eliminate the short in the harness. All I can see that is left is door locking mechanism itself? What do you think?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, If the actuators are engaging but the lock mechanism doesnt respond, that is all it could be. You may want to remove them and use some lithium grease and see if they will work. Could just have a bit of corrosion causing them to stick
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good suggestion. There is a white tab that's tied to actuator by a pin, it seems to be what engages the locking gear. I was testing with whole mechanism out but everything connected and noticed no movement anywhere in the locking mechanism
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Ok, try lubricating and if it wont move, replace it