sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

On my 2003 Lexus IS300 the automatic headlight leveling

Customer Question

On my 2003 Lexus IS300 the automatic headlight leveling system instrument light is on.What would be the best protocol to ferret out the issue? I understand that there are 2 sensors, one in front and one in the rear. How does one access these and how does one adjust them, if that's possible? In case not please provide replacement part numbers for the sensors. Thanks.Alex
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Have you had the fault codes read out at all to see what codes are set with this issue here? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Pete. There are no fault coded, just the instrument panel light.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,unfortunately after looking through my info on this here it doesnt list how these are accessed or replaced and I apologize for that.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank You. Pete.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The warning light you're seeing illuminates when the headlamp alignment module sees an issue in the system that will prevent operation and sets a fault code. The warning light is there to alert you that a fault code is set.I'm assuming whatever you checked for codes with wasn't capable of you didn't find any fault codes. The module is either not responsive or there are codes set.What did you use to try to check for codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Sprinkles. I waited so long for a reply that I figured out the problem on my own which turned out to be a 'dirty' sensor at the rear. Thanks anyway. Alex
You're welcome!