Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

Water and steam escaping from coolant reservoir. Engine is

Customer Question

Water and steam escaping from coolant reservoir. Engine is running hot. 2002 Lexus es300.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've replaced the radiator and thermostat, but engine is still running hot. Steam and water is back flowing or coming from the coolant reservoir.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light coming on as well?Does the engine run rough or smooth?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engine running rough and I have a code of p304.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
OkIt's possible that there is a head gasket issue. If it's putting coolant into the cylinder it will run rough, then the coolant is displaced with air and it will cause the car to overheat. It may also be pushing hot exhaust into the cooling system and that will cause it to overheat and force it into the overflow.I would start with a combustion test. This test checks for exhaust present in the coolant. This would be the first thing to check. You can also do a pressure test on the cooling system to see if it's losing pressure. If you can't see where the coolant is going, then it's likely going into the number 4 cylinder.Sorry to say but it all points to the head gasket to be honest.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?