Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Juan I appreciate the info and your prior answers regarding

Customer Question

Juan I appreciate the info and your prior answers regarding my 99 LS 400 tilt motor not working. After doing a little more research I found out that it is possible to manually get to the motor and turn the worm gear manually to bring the steering wheel down to a more "neutral" normal driving position. I called the Lexus dealer in Nashville (about 90 minutes away) and they confirmed they could/would do this manually for $150-$200. Could you direct me how I may do this myself? I took the screw out of the steering column cover and tried to maneuver it but didn't want to break something so I put it on hold. Can you give me any insight on manually doing this? Thanks LW
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
The dealer probably also disables the function with the scan tool, which is something we wouldn't be able to do. But if all you want is to move the steering wheel to a more comfortable position, click here for a link from a DIYer who has the entire procedure down pat, pics and everything - you might just want to ignore his colorful comments ;-)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Juan I reviewed this and it seems to speak mainly about the older model year prior to the 99 model. It does mention later in the post that a pair of needle nose pliers can be used on the 99's to manually just doesn't give much you recall when you worked on these how I may go about it? The fellow in Nashville mentioned there was 2 "clips" that had to be removed then put back on after manually adjusting?
Back then the directive from Lexus was either to replace the motors or refuse the work, so I never bothered with any mechanical adjustments. However, other than the motors being magnetic on the newer models, I though the tutorial covered the basic procedures to manually move the wheel.Please give me a few minutes to dig in the old data base and see what I can find. Be back in a bit...
After much digging, all I could find were a couple of technical service bulletins regarding how to replace worn bushings. Nothing on the manual positioning of the wheel.Now, after taking a closer look at how the system works, I see it's almost like the older models, just without the plastic gear. So I'm thinking that all you would have to do is remove the two clips (Lexus calls those "E Rings"), remove the worm gear/shaft, position the column however you like, then reinstall the shaft and secure it with the two clips. See attached graphic.I do hope that works for you as it's the only thing I could find.Best Regards.