Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

I am having the same issue as this guy. GS 350 is using a

Customer Question

I am having the same issue as this guy. GS 350 is using a lot of oil. I have been researching this lately and it appears to be a common problem with the piston rings. I have scheduled an appointment with the dealer. I am not sure what service I should ask them to perform. I would like to keep the car, but if it is a 10 K repair than maybe not
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Most often, oil consumption comes form one of the following:

1) Seized oil control piston rings (carbon builds up and the rins do not orbit the piston as it reciprocates. This causes the ring to not scrape the oil off of the piston walls

2) Worn out, hardened or other issues with the valev seals (oil tends to make the valve seals less pliable. This causes lubrication oil to trickle down the stems o of the intake valves and into the combustion chamber where it is consumed and then spent out the tailpipe.l

3) Sludge (sludge buildup can congregate into the valve covers. When the PCV system activates, the trapped oil that is on top of the sludge actually gets sucked into the intake manifold via the PCV system, where it enters the combustion chambers and is consumed.

The first thing to ask them to do is pull the valve covers and check for sludge. If sludge is found, you are looking at a lot of money to clean it out. Include replacement valve covers (the cannot be cleaned properly manually), and there would be a high probability of needing piston rings.

It would not be uncommon for a shop to charge 7,500 dollars for a complete cleaning and replacement of the rings and valve seals.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.