Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

In the past, the Toyota 6 cyl has been problematic,

Customer Question

In the past, the Toyota 6 cyl
has been problematic, especially
compared to the 4 - I assume Lexus
is the same. What is your opinion?
Thank you
Brent
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Toyota 6-cylinders have come a long way since the 3.0L version back in the day. The 3.5L 6-cylinder is now Timing "Chain" driven rather than timing "belt" driven which makes the more reliable, dependable and durable. It also means less "big job" preventative maintenance. No need to replace the timing chain, as it's designed to last the life of the engine. The Toyota/Lexus 6-cylinder engines these days have minimal "problematic" issues. Basically it's oxygen sensors, bank1 converters and EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System problems with them these days. The RX450 is actually a very tight vehicle. We see very little issues with them (except for the EVAP problems as I mentioned).

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

..