john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech Ase Certified
6149662

I have a 2005 ES 330 - I have had 3 oxygen sensors replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2005 ES 330 - I have had 3 oxygen sensors replaced (2, the same one - service tech. said because oil had run down from changing the filter and shorted out the sensor) and the lights are back on again. Has this been a problem or might there be a deeper problem?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No - Where I have had my service done relaced the first 2 - then I took it to a Toyota Dealer where I had been taking my 03 Camry - then Lexus Customer Complaints sent me to a Lexus Dealer that replaced one that had been replaced and after 5,000 miles the lights came on again. I have run the car another 5,000 miles with the lights on, figuring that there is not a permanent repair,
JA: OK! The Lexus Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: It has 90,140 miles, timing belt and water pump kit was installed just prior to 90K. I have serviced it every 5K. by a reliable independent shop that has been installing 5W-20W Castroil. It uses no oil and runs and performs well. I have always used premium fuel. I am 65 miles from a Lexus Dealer which is at Des Moines, IA.
JA: Our top Lexus Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lexus Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lexus Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 8 months ago.

do you know the current trouble codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The code that was on the repair order when the last sensor was replaced is PO136

can you get the codes scanned?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If the PO136 is not the right number for a code - then I do not have the code recorded on the RO. I can have it scanned again and get the code or codes tomorrow,

yes please

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

did you want a phone chat?