Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

P2198 error code on Lexus GS 300, the engine light is on

Customer Question

P2198 error code on Lexus GS 300
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the engine light is on with VSC code I brought the car to Autozone and got the error code P2198. I have also experiencing the headlights suddenly turn off at night while driving? is there an electrical problem? How much am I looking at?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 8 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise of the year of your GS300. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2006
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is also code p0455, 0441, 0175

The p2198 code is a faulty Air-fuel sensor, bank 2, sensor one (the first sensor in the exhaust on the side of the engine that has cylinders 2-4 & 6

P0455 is a large leak in your evaporative emission system

P0441 is an issue with the vacuum switching valve for the evaporative system (this is probably the main cause of the 441 and the 455; most likely a broken vacuum switch)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this time sensitive! How much to fix the broken vacuum? Is this something I can do?

P0175 is a 'too lean' condition on the 2-3-6 cylinder side of the engine.

Thsi sounds to me like you have a broken vacuum switching valve under the car, where the charcoal canister is.

Not time sensitive at all. What you need to do is get under the car (preferably on a hoist) and look for loose vacuum lines on a small device with a wire connector. You vacuum switching valve is most likely broken, and a vacuum hose is disconnected. About 90 dollars for a new vacuum switching valve.

You will find this near the gas tank.

If you cannot raise the car on a hoist, this will be very difficult to do if you are laying on the ground with the car jacked up and on blocks (so you are safe). The switching valve is hard to get to so one can remove it without unrestricted access (like when it is on a hoist).

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can any mechanic change the broken vacuum? Do you know what the labor is?
What about the headlights suddenly go off? Is it related to these error codes?

Any car mechanic can change this unit. Labor is roughly 1 to 1.5 hours. Headlights going off is totally unrelated. If you have HID headlamps, you probably need new HID bulbs. Headlamps going out have nothing to do with engine codes. Totally different circuity.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you- the headlamps go off, I have to manually turn off the lights, then turn them back on while driving. Can the mechanic look into this? Is it smart to bring it to the dealership or go elsewhere for cheaper labor?

You are very welcome. Yes, the mechanic can look at that too. If you have HID bulbs, they probably need to be replaced. When they are old and faulty, they will shut off and one must shut the lamps off to reactivate them.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. A bonus would be very nice if you are really happy with my input.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer