lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My 1999 lexus es 300 want shift into overdrive, at 60mph it

Customer Question

my 1999 lexus es 300 want shift into overdrive, at 60mph it is at 3400rpm. what could be the problem, and will that high rpm cause a problem?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the transmission shifts into overdrive sometimes, but sometime it will not. when it don't it runs at 3400rpm. what could cause this. what about the high rpm
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 10 months ago.

Has the check engine light been on recently? Or is it on now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no

Do you have a code reader to see if there any codes set in the pending portion of the computer that would not cause light to come on yet may create some issues? In most states except California Virginia they do free malfunction code reads at most part stores or I can recommend a good generic code reader for less than $60 that you could buy and have. I recommend everyone have a code reader in the glovebox it will save you hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees down the road.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i do have a code reader, what about it the high rpm 3400, will that cause damage?

Why you're getting the higher RPM is because you're not in overdrive at that point. It just won't help your gas mileage and you may have to dial your speed back a little bit if you don't want to hear the engine wind out at that RPM but it is not going to hurt the engine. Let me know if there any codes set in the computer in pending or in history.