Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2004 Lexus 330 ES 135700. Miles. Slight leak on the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Lexus 330 ES 135700. Miles. Slight leak on the rack-pinion . What do you recommend ? Any idea on total replacement cost?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. The question here is what is making up this price. Are they replacing the rack because it is leaking and charging you 950, the rack and the pressure hose for 950, etc. Steering racks of the remanufactured variety range from 225 to 395 dollars, depending on where your shop gets it and how much profit they want to make off of you. Plus they get a kickback when they return the old rack as a core. 950 for a rack replacement is really high. 950 for the pressure hose, a good rack and labour should top out around 800 dollars. I would ask what kind of rack they are installing and where is it coming from. If they balk, ask if you can supply the rack and go internet shopping for a quality re manufactured part. I would bet that the price might drop a bit if they hear you want to supply the part. They need to make some profit, but not like 350 dollars.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.