Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have 2004 rx330 heater only blowing, heater only blowing

Customer Question

i have 2004 rx330 heater only blowing cod
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Lexus. The Lexus Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: heater only blowing cold air, sometimes when car is running it will start blowing warm air?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lexus Mechanic should be aware of about your Lexus?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to check here is to make sure the engine coolant level is at the proper level.If there is an issue with low coolant this indicates a leak that needs located and repaired and will cause this issue as it forces air and coolant into the heater core causing the cold air and intermittent warm air.

The coolant system would need pressure tested with a pressure tester to locate and repair this.

If the coolant level is o.k. this can be due to a restricted heater core.You would want to feel both heater core hoses going into the firewall to the heater core with the engine warmed up and running and heater on.Both should be very warm to hot to the touch and should be about the same temp feel.If one is allot cooler then the other then this indicates a restricted heater core needing replaced or flushed out.

If the heater core hoses are both hot then the only other issue that is common is a faulty temp door actuator on the heater box itself needing replaced.This would need checked further by having the codes checked first using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to check codes and then the actuator signals tested to see if it needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete