Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Just bought 99 ls400: took my car to dealer ,they found

Customer Question

Just bought 99 ls400: took my car to dealer ,they found major power steering leak and rack and pinion leak.. thel leak is so bad it is leakint on the alternator. Also pan gasket leaks and valve cover gaskets leaking. Scary part dealer says rear main seal could be but they said they really couldn't tell. Car has 200k. They suggest I return or get rid of car.
Is it common for rear main seal to go out in a 99 ls400?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 9 months ago.

Any Toyota after about 200,000 miles or thereabouts will eventually start to leak from the rear main seal. My concern is that because of the high miles normally you're looking at valve cover gaskets and other issues as far as leaking and this can sometimes contaminate the engine area and make it difficult to make a definitive determination whether the rear main seal is actually leaking or not. If the oil is definitely coming between the bell housing in the back of the engine then it is probably the rear main seal. If you are planning on keeping this car long term and cannot return it I would not just pull out the rear main because it's a lot of labor. I would have the higher leaks like the valve covers resealed and go from there. The concern about fluid leaking onto the alternator can cause possible electrical damage and or fires long-term.