Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2004 Lexus IS 300. Recently I just had the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Lexus IS 300. Recently I just had the Catalytic converter replaced. Less than 24K miles later I had a blown head gasket in which I had to have the heads resurfaced etc. About 4-5 weeks after the service was completed for the heads gaskets etc. I start receiving an error code. So I took it back into the mechanic. He is telling me the Catalytic Converter needs to be replaced again. They are saying it is because of the blown head gasket I had a while back. The converter has about 20-24K miles on it since I had it installed. When the gasket went out it affected the cooling system. I was loosing a lot of water. Does this sound like it would ruin a brand new catalytic converter?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

first, what brand was the converter??? most come with 5 yr 50k warranties for check engine light.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know. They installed it. The manger of the shop said that it was an OEM part and not a just a cheap converter?
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

then it should have warranty...

could it cause the failure??? yes but highly doubtful. they fail from rich mixtures where un burned fuel which burns out the interior of the converter.

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The warranty that they gave me with the invoice says that all repair work carries a 3 year 35K prorated warranty. So he will give me about a 20% discount because that is whats left on the Warranty
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

when was it replaced and what was the miles???

the part should have a separate warranty. find out where and what brand converter they used

Roy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Let me look into it
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.

ok