Greg
Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner
29331485

To install nHi, I will be changing the timing belt, water

Customer Question

to install nHi,
I will be changing the timing belt , water pump, tensioner and idler bearings on a 2005 Lexus ls430.
The vehicle only has about 75000 miles but its almost 11 years old.
I know how to take apart down to the timing belt but once i get to the timing belt i have a few questions.
Once i line up the timing marks with the crankshaft and camshafts i need to turn crankshaft 50 degrees clockwise.
Once i mark the timing belt and remove , will i have to move the camshaftsew belt?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

When you have the timing belt set up on all timing marks ,Cams and crank then you remove the belt and make sure you don't turn the crankshaft or cam in any direction .

Then just fit the new belt , not sure what you mean by turning 50deg, but once the belt is remove there is no need to move any cams or crank shaft .

If any part is move then should be put back to where it was lined up.

Now if you are going to replace the three seals then yes you can move the crank back 30 deg to put the piston in the middle of there run, so not to touch the valve when removing the cam sprocket to replace the seal, when finished move back to TDC fit belts .

If you need a timing mark diagram please let me know i will post one for you.

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
25. REMOVE TIMING BELT
(a) If planning to reuse the belt, check the installation marks
on the belt.
(1) Check that there are 3 installation marks on the belt
by turning the crankshaft as shown in the illustration.
If the installation marks have disappeared, place a new installation
mark on the belt before removing each part.
A54457
(b) Set the No. 1 cylinder to approximately 50
°BTDC/compression.
(1) Using the crankshaft damper bolt, turn the crankshaft
to align the timing marks of the crankshaft timing
pulley and oil pump body.
Turn A54456
(2) Check that the timing marks of the camshaft timing
pulleys and timing belt plates are aligned.
If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360°).
A54458
Timing
(3) Using the crankshaft damper bolt, turn the crankMark
Approx. 50°
shaft counterclockwise by approximately 50°.
Hi Greg,
are the top directions correct?Set the No. 1 cylinder to approximately 50
°BTDC/compression.
This is my question in the last post.
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

Okay got you yes this is correct but make sure you have the marks on the old belt if you are going to reuse this belt in your case you are going to install a new belt so make sure the belt has the marking to line up .a lot of aftermarket don't have the marks .Arrow facing forward and L cakm , R-cam and the lower mark CR.

Okay got you, yes this is correct but make sure you have the marks on the old belt if you are going to reuse this belt, in your case you are going to install a new belt so make sure the belt has the marking to line up .a lot of aftermarket don't have the marks . Arrow facing forward and L-cam , R-cam and the lower mark CR. meaning left cam and right cam left cam is drivers side .

Did you understand with installing the the belt ,with the cam being set up drivers side 1/2 tooth and passengers side 1 tooth

this is so you can fit the belt and then turn the engine to get all the slack of the belt to the side of the tensioner .

You have to turn to the 50 deg so when you remove the belt the valve and piston don't come into contact as when you remove the belt the cams will spring round and push the valve down towards the pistons .

When installing turn to correct timing marks ,

Get back if i have missed anything out that you still may need to know .

Greg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay making sure i understand.
To remove the timing belt turn to TDC, make sure the cams line up and then the CR.
Once all 3 line up then turn to 50deg ,should the 1/2 tooth drivers side and 1 tooth passenger side line up at this point?
Sounds like this is a neutral point for the cams.
I am using all oem replacement parts.
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.

No you don't have to line up the cam belt this is just for refitting the belt you need to line up the cam crank sprocket marks to the case marks .then turn the 50deg then remove the belt , to install tern each cam and crank there respective the position 1 and 1/2 tooth and the crank back 50deg fit belt with the marks on the cam and crank.

Remember when the belt is installed and you do the two complete turns to check that the timing marks line up this will be with only the cam ans crank marks to the case the timing belt marks will not line back up it will take a few undred turns for the belt to line back up ,so once the lines on the belt are just for fitting .Belt marks to sprocket mark to case mark .

Greg

Greg

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Makes sense.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 9 months ago.

Have any issue you can get back to me any time after rating ...

Kind regards aGreg