Jeromy Madison
Jeromy Madison,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Mad Auto Repair
90693043

I have a Lexus gs300. 300k ***** *****. Between 45 and say

Customer Question

I have a Lexus gs300. 300k ***** *****. Between 45 and say 55 or 60, the car will shudder. Once I get into overdrive. Also, the car seems to run a lot better when it is warm. I don't notice it as much or at all. Not sure if its a transmission or sensor, but don't want to put out a lot of money for someone to search for the problem without knowing. Any help would be appreciated.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I thought I just did. My name is Rob.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 10 months ago.

Can you explain the shudder? Do the rpm's change?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It feels like its trying to shift into overdrive but its jumping back and forth between forth and overdrive. Its a 1999. The rpms don't seem to change a whole lot when this happens. The engine light flickered on and off this morning when it was happening but then went off. Again, once it was warm it seemed to work better. Does this help

Yes, a little. How long have you had it? Do you know the condition of the spark plugs to start with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have had the car since 2003. Great car. I don't know the condition of the spark plugs. I had the timing belt replaced and those changed a few years back.

Ok, do you have a scan tool to check for codes? Or to read live data to check for misfires?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Should I take it to Advance or somewhere and get them to scan for the codes?

That might get you a place to start, but you might need more than that to see the whole picture of the problem.

I suspect something with the ignition system. spark plugs, coil, or maybe an injector

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not transmission?

I doubt the transmission. It may feel like the transmission and many people start there, but with everything computer controlled it will feel like transmission if the vehicle is putting out too little power because of an engine issue. I hope this helps.

Please let me know what codes you find.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is great. I just got a new battery would that cause any issues

That is unlikely.