sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The volume on my 04 ls 430 goes down when i turn left and my

Customer Question

the volume on my 04 ls 430 goes down when i turn left and my hrn has quit working what is the fix
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It would take some electrical testing to know exactly what is going on but it sounds like you have a failed clockspring. The clockspring is in the top of the steering column just under the wheel and is what makes electrical contact between the column and the wheel yet allows the steering wheel to turn. When the clockspring fails it can cause an issue with the operation of any electrical item on the steering wheel including the horn, airbag, steering wheel mounted radio controls, cruise control, etc. I'm assuming you have steering wheel mounted radio controls, if so then a short between circuits on the clockspring is most likely what is causing the radio volume to change, and an open circuit for the horn switch is most likely causing the horn to not work.