lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

My name is ***** *****. My issue is my daughters 1999 Lexus

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. My issue is my daughters 1999 Lexus RX300 was misfiring on cylinders 3 and 5. I found the cause to be worn valve cover gaskets that allowed oil to leak into the spark plugs. I replaced the spark plugs and the valve cover gaskets. Idles like a champ. Took it for a test drive and now the engine dies when the car come to a stop or when turning. Both require braking show I checked the vacuum line to the throttle body and everything appears to be good. Now I have three engine codes from the last test drive. Codes: P1130, P1656, P1663.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what details are you looking for?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

There is a good chance that some oil got on the 02 sensor for bank 1, (sensor 1), P1130.

.

The P1656 and P1663, you will want to check the Oil Control valves on both banks. Of course the oil should be clean and not in need of changing.

.

If DTC P1656 displayed, check left bank OCV circuit. If DTC P1663 displayed, check right bank OCV circuit

.

If you give me your email address, I can get the test instructions for the codes and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cleaned the cannon plugs out with contact cleaner on all the cannon plugs I have disconnected. OCV's were not even touched during the repair. Is there a ground that is common to both that could cause this problem?
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

Only the grounds for the ECU and if it runs I am sure they are okay. So you have the codes, stalling when slowing down, you don't think that it should be tested. Is there a way that I/we could guess at it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The problem is acting like a vaccum leak. I do not know how else to explain it. The car purrs like a kitten drive down the road. But when you apply the brakes to turn or stop it will shut down. These codes just showed up after the maintenance was completed for the seal replacement on the valve cover for the 1,3,5. I had the air intake, throttle body and the intake manifold removed. I just replaced all the vacuum lines to the throttle body and the fuel injection system just in case any of them had a leak while we were emailing. Going back to the old theory of where did you work last.
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.

That is the only way to know what is wrong with it, without guessing. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.