Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My Toyota harrier 12/97 with a 5SFE engine starts after 2-3

Customer Question

My Toyota harrier 12/97 with a 5SFE engine starts after 2-3 cranks, runs fine with no stumbling or jerking or choking or anything, but stops after 10-15 seconds. When the engine runs the engine check light does not show
All fuses and connectors tested by auto-elect - OK, fuel line and pump cleaned and tested - OK, Idle air control valve cleanded and replaced -OK, all injectors cleaned and tested - all spray fine. When the engine runs and I depress the accelerator, the engine just cuts off. Itried changing the IAC valve with one that has only the first set of part numbers matching, and that was the only time the engine light came on.
Please help!!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

On some models the engine uses a crank position sensor that can act up and cause this here.This sensor sends an engine rpm signal to the computer to let the computer know what position the crank is in.If this sensor is cutting out with its signal this fault here can occur and causes this issue here.If this has not been checked into to see if this is the cause here this needs done and if found at fault it will need replaced.

I would also have the engine checked over for any vacuum leaks that need repaired.If there is a vacuum leak this may be leaning out the engine when the accelerator is pressed causing this fault here as well needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete