FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

My name is ***** ***** and asking why the gas pump suddenly

Customer Question

Customer: Hi .. My name is ***** ***** and asking why the gas pump suddenly "clicks off" in the 2007 RX 400H that I recently purchased. I read your website answer to the person with an RX-300 and assume it is the same issue and potentially costly solution
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The fuel sensor at the gas pump apparently senses pressure and cuts off within 5 or so seconds. Strange that this happens 80% of the time but not all the time. The ARCO fuel filler hose end that is shorter seems to have less of an issue. Seems that air is not being evacuated from the air drain hose (blocked or charcoal cannister blocked?). Car is from Seattle area .. not hot or many insects. If over-filling could have caused gas to drain into the charcoal filter and damage it (??) perhaps this could be the issue?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm willing to pay this but need an answer specific to the 07 400H that I have. I'm thinking I'll visit the dealer who indicates they will charge $120 (1 hr) to diagnose the issue - but at least I'll be better educated. My alternative is to approach a well-regarded independent technician ,,,
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Most of the time this is caused by a bad vent valve in the EVAP system. It can also be a clogged hose. Either way the most costly part is the labor. Is this something that you plan on fixing yourself?