Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have a 2004 lexus RX 330 works fine always 73000Miles

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** and good morning I have a 2004 lexus RX 330 works fine always 73000Miles today it is 34 degrees outside and i noticed a loud whining sound at startup the car drove fine and the sound lasted about 10 minutes by the time i got to work it was gone
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it was a cold start when the engine is running it makes a low pitch whining noise when i press the gass the sound gets louder as the engine revs then goes back to normal when the engine does never happened before and the only difference is the cold weather
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

2 things come to mind.

1. power steering. if the pump has air or is worn, it will whine when cold. does the sound change pitch when turning the wheel???

2. front pump in transmission. if the filter is partially clogged, the pump will whine until the fluid is hot and more can pass through the filter.

Roy

Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy