Greg
Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner
29331485

I live in the uk and have a lexus ls400 1995. The battery

Customer Question

Hi I live in the uk and have a lexus ls400 1995 . The battery died and now the car does not start before that it was ok . It turns but feels like its getting no spark or fuel . Is it the immobiliser and can i remove it myself ?
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

Do you still use the original key fob or do you have a aftermarket alarm system fitted .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Greg , Many thanks for your reply i only have two keys but no remote key fob , its not an aftermarket alarm as far as im aware the car is original in that respectMany thanksBelwar
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi GregJust to let you know i tried the put the key in the ignition for 6 mins turn to position 2 and then put it back in no luck eitherThanksBelwar
Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

To be clear when you say no start, the starter motor crank over, but does not start .

This means the immobilizer is still working as the immo system on this cuts out the starter

so your problem lies else where.

Need you to check when she will not start if you have spark .

Or in the morning or when cold spray start helper down the throttle body when cranking the engine and let me know if she starts a lot easier .

Greg

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Greg
Thats right the starter cranks but does not start .What i will do is take a video tomorrow and show you what the car is doing and sounding like .Does this year of lexus have a obd 16 pin connector if so i could oly locate the round one under the drivers dashThanks again for your help and will get that videos over to you tomorrowMany thanksBelwar
Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

Sounds like a good plan ,

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi GregStruggling to upload the video but what i did determine today is that the rev meter aint moving when im cranking ...does this mean that the cranshaft position sensor has gone ? . Additionally i would be grateful if you could advise whether there is an obd ii port or do i just use the round one under the driver steering . What is the easiest way to pull the fault code and would the sensor come as a fault codeMany thanksbelwar
Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

Normally if the rev counter is not showing 250 +/- 50 rpm then this is a sign of a bad crank sensor .

The DLC location is attached diagram 1 . is shown as LHD but just the same .

Now we have to be careful here as with this being a 95 model may just have the old system and not the OBD system so if no diagnostic plug on the drivers side then its on the engine and looks like diagram 2 .

Now this system we can check for codes with out a scan /code tool .

With a paper clip opened you can jump the two pins as shown in diagram 3 or 4 depending on the system you have TE1 and E1

then switch on the ignition to ON don't start and then watch the check engine start to flash count the flashers to get codes .

Read diagram 5 for instruction on reading codes .

When you have the codes this will help in this repair .

When you have the codes let me know what they are for decoding .

Rgds Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 11 months ago.

diagram

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi GregIts Belwar again . I managed to get the fault code off the lexus its 2 quick flashes a pause then one slow one ..ie 21I think its the crank position sensor . However i am having difficulty locating it . Is it easy to get at without jacking the car up ?Can you please advise where it is ?.I cannot hear the fueI pump whizzing is this a symptom also of the crank postion sensor going badI have taken the fuel pump relay out and checked, its clicking on and off .Many ThanksBelwar
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please also find photos of my engine for reference
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi GregApologies having looked at the video of the code i read it was 1 flash pause 2 flashes ... therefore i think its error code 12Please let me know what you thinkMany thanksBelwar