Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Ron, I have a 2004 lexus rx330. Just turned 200,000 miles a

Customer Question

Hi Ron, I have a 2004 lexus rx330. Just turned 200,000 miles a few weeks ago. This am VSC and ck engine lights went on. Is this an automatic thing after that many miles?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The Ck Engine light is on because you have a sensor or other issue in the engine management system. The VSC light comes on, by design, to lend importance to get the reason for the lights being on checked out. The Ck Engine light only comes on when there is a problem; it does not come on via a time or a mileage interval. The recommendation here would be to get the car scheduled for a scan, where the tech can attach a tool to 'read' the reason for the illumination of the light. As long as it is running OK, it is most likly you have an emission system issue. One question though....prior to the light coming on, did you just purchase fuel? Please advise.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you! I filled my tank a few days ago. Lights went in this am. It's running fine.

Please check the gas cap. See if it is as tight as you can get it. If the cap is loose, even a tiny bit, there is a sensor inside the tank that will not be happy. This will cause the light to come on. The cap is supposed to be tight. This creates positive pressure inside the tank. If the cap is loose, there is not pressure and the sensor is unsatisfied; this turns on the light. Any gas fume leak from under the cap is pollution (in the form or unburned hydrocarbons). If the cap is loose, tighten it. Note that if the cap is loose the light will not go off instantly. It takes 2 drive cycles to reset it. (Drive today, shut it off, drive tomorrow, shut it off. The system resets on day 3 if the cap is properly seated. )

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer