rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1994 Lexus GS300. I have been working on the

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Lexus GS300. I have been working on the headlights and can't seem to find problem. The lights all work however the bright lights only work when you hold the dimmer switch as if you were asking another oncoming vehicle for dims or just flashing you brites. Whenever you turn switch to bright they will not come on. i replaced the dimmer switch thinking the problem was in the switch. The problem still exists.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The only other possibilities would be a wiring problem or body computer that is not grounding the switch in the "on versus flash" positions.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
In reference to my background I am retired from the telephone company. I have electrical experience and would have probably been able to find problem if I had a wiring diagram. Again the vehicle is a 1994 Lexus GS 300. It has approximately 254,000 miles and I have fixed other problems with the electrical. I recently replaced the clock spring after having problem with a no working horn. After searching and comparing symptons on google I was sure it was the clock spring. However I have not been able to get the airbag light to reset and i get a 41 code. (computer?) The horn and cruise control are working fine now. my wife drives the car and it's possible the high beam problem occurred at the same time the clock spring failed. Again the high beams work when holding the dimmer switch in the bright position. They will not work when moved into the on position. I replaced the switch and all other functions of the switch work. I have taken out the head relay and there is continuity between contacts when the coil is energized. A question would be is there another relay in the circuit for the high beams? If you have a wiring diagram or direction for troubleshooting the circuit I would greatly appreciate it. The vehicle is up for inspection and registration and I can't get the air bag light off and the high beams will not work. I also worked on the tail and brake lights when another justanswer mech had me to bypass the taillight sensor. I read on a forum that the same model and problem existed with the high beams when DIY customer had a brake light out. I can't see the relation between both lights.
Now you know everything I have done and and have found out in reference to the high beam problem I'm having. I will not be able to work on it again until Monday if I need to take apart anything, something simple I can.. Please help. I can fix it if I know where to go.. The simple thing was to replace switch and or relay.
Thanks Doug
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.

This is the best I can do for you.

Please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you have any further questions about this later on.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for the diagrams. Is it possible you know where the components are on the car? (Diodes, Relays integration relay) Also in the previous question i ask about the clock spring and the airbag light. Again does the light sensors in the trunk have anything to do with the problem?
thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 12 months ago.

I don't have it available at this station. The diagrams should lead you to them though. The clock spring and air bag, can be related. You may want to consider having the system looked at with a scan tool, it's much more accurate and faster.

Thanks again,