lexpert
lexpert, Lexus Master tech
Experience:  Master Certified with lexus, 8 years experience with Lexus
9414525

The issue is the following: we are resetting the camshafts

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****- my name is Jon. the issue is the following: we are resetting the camshafts LH and RH and need to make sure we line up the timing marks correctly. Our manual says the LH camshaft uses the 2 dots and the RH camshaft uses the 1 dots. We need to know if that is correct.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it's for a 1998 ls400. 2nd gen engine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure. for clarification, the diagrams I'm looking at online at JustAnswer are for setting the timing for the timing belt. This issue is for the camshaft gears.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: If you could post the diagrams and write out the answer also, that would be great.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Do the cam gears have these marks on them? See diagram at the following link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can see the marks clearly. 1 dot and 2 dots
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please write the answers as well- What is the "dot number" on the LH camshaft gear and what is the "dot number" on the RH?
In other words, do we use 1 dot to 1 dot on the RH and 2 dots to 2 dots on the LH?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you answer my question please?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me a minute to gather some instructions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Not sure on the dot numbers, , but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Need the answer now. Please do not refer, as I'm closing the issue and asking for a return of my money.Thanks for trying.Jon Solow