Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

I have a 1993 Lexus SC300. The problem I have is when I

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1993 Lexus SC300. The problem I have is when I start it up, it cuts right back off. The last time I drove it, it just cut off on the road and I haven't been able to get it running since.
I changed the fuel pump, fuel pump filter, ECU, spark plugs and spark plug wire set and still have the same problem.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, Injector pulse, Proper fuel pressure and good compression. If you can check each one of theses things and post back with which one you are lacking I will help you determine the cause. Post back when you can and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron, I had a mechanic check everything out. Everything turned out to be good. They all show to be getting a spark but the engine still cuts off and the mechanic couldn't figure out the problem. I'll have him come over later today and I will let you know what happened.Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay post back with his results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the mechanic came over today and still the same problem. The car will only start up when sprayed with startup fluid then after 1 second it shuts right back off. When I turn the key, it feels like it wants to start up but it still cant turn over. He thinks its an anti-theft issue but is still not sure.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

When he was checking things did he check the fuel pressure once it stalls as well as checking to see if you have injector pulse. If adding fuel gets it to start you are usually lacking one or the other.