Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have multiple leaks in my 1999 Lexus rx300.

Customer Question

Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Before we begin, please advise if this vehicle has a sunroof. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. No sunroof.

Good. That eliminates a major possibility. On the front, the cowl panle or the AC condensate drain is either blocked up or allowing water to enter under the dash. If the vehicle was in a side collision, you may have body seam sealer problems. I would suspect the couwl or the AC drain is the cause for the water in the front.

On the rear, it is most likely that the rear taillamps are allowing moisture to leak into the interior, if the rear hatch rubber seal is still good. Take a dollar bill and put it on the rubber and close the hatch. Pull on the dollar bill. If it comes out in places with no resistance, water can enter there. If the hatch holds the dollar tight, I woudl recommend a body shop remove and reseal the rear taillamps.

The key here is an accurate diagnosis. A good body shop will put a person inside the vehicle, where the interior trim is pulled away, while another sprays water onto the car from all angles. If you have enough water to soak the carpet and fill the spare tire well, it should be rather easy for them to find the point where the water is entering

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This only happens when it rains so you may be right about the back end leak. The front is coming in in the passenger side under the dash area. At least that is where it reveals itself first. Any suggestions for the front with that information?

Look under the dash for a rubber hose that connects the AC box. This hose will poke thru the firewall of the floor right by the box. Remove it and see if water pours put of the box. If so, the tube is blocked up. If no water comes out, get a bucket of water and dump it carefully into the opening of the cowl in fornt of/under the windshield. Look behind the front tires for water dripping out onto the ground. If not water is coming out, the cowl drains are blocked up.

In my 20 years with Toyota and Lexus, water entry is rare, but it does happen. The above places are the most common.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer