Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2008 Lexus RX350 with 75,000 miles on it. The car

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2008 Lexus RX350 with 75,000 miles on it. The car was leaking fluid and overheating and the fan was running all the time. I took it to a mechanic who found a crack in the radiator and replaced the radiator and thermostat. Few days later, I had a VSC and Check Engine lights come on. The car shakes and the fan is running full speed again. Its showing a P0302 diagnostic code suggesting there is a misfiring problem. However, there seems to be a cooling problem as well with the fan running full-speed. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light ever flash? Did cooling fan start running at full speed after check engine light came on? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The check engine light flashes too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are 3 lights flashing - vsc, check engine and 1 other yellow light
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

All of these things would happen due to the misfire. If the check engine light is flashing that means misfire is most likely caused by a failed ignition coil which is a common problem on these vehicles. Engine being overheated may have caused coil to get hot and fail which can happen. The coil is about a 3 hour job to replace and $60 part so you are looking at around $350 to have this repair done at a shop. I can give you replacement instructions if it is something you want to do yourself. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this cause the fan to run at full speed and the temp gauge to jump up and down?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Most likely because the misfire can cause engine to run hot so taking care of misfire is the first step you will want to take. Let me know how if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.