Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 2001 Lexus gs 300 experiences intermittent stoppage of

Customer Question

My 2001 Lexus gs 300 experiences intermittent stoppage of all power windows, locks and automatic steering column extension. The remote FOB ceases to work at this time as well. When it happens the only window that works is the drivers. The power lock switches do not work and have to be manually moved. The headlights seems to stay on when left in the auto setting on the steering column. Smells like a keyless entry system problem?
There seems to be a correlation with humidity or rainy weather. When things dry out problem goes away.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, I have uploaded a pdf file with component locations for the immobilizer/alarm/security system for your vehicle. We need to start with checking each on a humid day or after it has rained for any moisture intrusion at those components and then go from there. If you find any in the connectors to the components, dry out and apply some dielectric grease to them and then see if the issue returns or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should I start first? This points to nearly every fuse and relay box on the car.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

The system is quite complex and does involve quite a bit, which is why it is difficult and time consuming to find the cause of the issue you are having. You start with the components in the engine compartment as they are the ones most affected by humidity or rainy weather.

Sorry, there is no easy answer on this one and is going to require alot of man hours unless you luck out and it is one of the first components checked.